The following is the SLAA Preamble. It explains briefly what is the SLAA organization and usually is read at the beginning of each meeting. It is available as a PDF from the Fellowship Wide Services website.
The SLAA Preamble
Sex and Love Addicts Anonymous (SLAA) is a Twelve Step, Twelve Tradition-oriented fellowship based on the model pioneered by Alcoholics Anonymous. The only qualification for SLAA membership is a desire to stop living out a pattern of sex and love addiction. SLAA is supported entirely through the contributions of its membership, and is free to all who need it.
To counter the destructive consequences of sex and love addiction we draw on five major resources:
- Sobriety. Our willingness to stop acting out in our own personal bottom-line addictive behavior on a daily basis.
- Sponsorship/Meetings. Our capacity to reach out for the supportive fellowship within SLAA.
- Steps. Our practice of the Twelve Step program of recovery to achieve sexual and emotional sobriety.
- Service. Our giving back to the SLAA community what we continue to freely receive.
- Spirituality. Our developing a relationship with a Power greater than ourselves which can guide and sustain us in recovery.
As a fellowship SLAA has no opinion on outside issues and seeks no controversy. SLAA is not affiliated with any other organizations, movements, or causes, either religious or secular.
We are, however, united in a common focus: dealing with our addictive sexual and emotional behavior. We find a common denominator in our obsessive/compulsive patterns, which transcends any personal differences of sexual orientation or gender identity.
We need protect with special care the anonymity of every SLAA member. Additionally, we try to avoid drawing undue attention to SLAA as a whole from the public media.
©1985, 2003, 2012 The Augustine Fellowship, S.L.A.A., Fellowship-Wide Services, Inc. All Rights Reserved.